The Benefits of Planned Giving
Supporting the Society’s Mission
Without its endowment, the Colonial Society of Massachusetts would not have the ability to advance the study of early American history through:
- Publication, including our rich and unique series of books, now readily available worldwide without cost through our website, and our support of the publication of the New England Quarterly;
- Research, by encouraging young scholars through our sponsorship of the Graduate Student Forum, by rewarding outstanding scholarship through the Whitehill Prize for distinguished work on early American history, and through our sponsorship of special awards for projects on the history of New England before the American Revolution through the New England Regional Fellowship Consortium;
- Educational Programs, including our long-running lecture series for members and other interested individuals;
- Preservation of the historic fabric of our house at 87 Mount Vernon Street, including several pieces of furniture owned by the historian Francis Parkman; and
- Fellowship, bringing our members together for discussion of early American history.
Advantages of Planned Giving
By making a planned gift of any size to the Colonial Society of Massachusetts, you can become a permanent part of its long and storied history. There are many ways to establish a lasting legacy. You might wish to include the Society in your will, or name the Society as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy, retirement fund, or trust.
Some of the advantages of making a planned gift in one of these ways include:
- Amount: a gift of any size would be most welcome; you may choose to leave a percentage or dollar amount of your choice
- Flexibility: making a planned gift in one of these ways gives you flexibility to alter your gift should your circumstances change
- Taxes: assets directed to the Colonial Society are removed from the estate for federal estate tax purposes
The 1892 Associates
We recognize those who have included the Society in their estate plans by making them, if they wish, members of our 1892 Associates. The Associates are listed annually in the Society’s newsletter and earn the gratitude, in perpetuity, of its members.
All planned gifts will be placed in our endowment, unless otherwise restricted. Regardless of size, these gifts are a critically important component in providing for the future of the Society. By planning a bequest now, your support will live on, underwriting the work of the Society for generations to come.
For further information, or to alert the Society that you have decided to make a planned gift to support its mission, please contact:
Anne Rand, Chair CSM Development Committee Colonial Society of Massachusetts 87 Mt. Vernon St. Boston, MA 02108
or email [email protected]