Journey to Hadley 15 May 1948

    ON Saturday, 15 May 1948, twenty-six members of the Society journeyed to Hadley at the invitation of Dr. James Lincoln Huntington. The group left the Club of Odd Volumes in Boston at a half after nine o’clock in the morning in a Boston and Maine Transportation Company bus, escorted by a motorcycle trooper of the State Police, and arrived in Hadley shortly after noon. The Society visited the First Church of Christ in Hadley, where the communion silver was on display, and the Farm Museum before proceeding northward to Dr. Huntington’s home. A buffet luncheon was served in the remodelled coach house at a half after one o’clock, and the Society then visited the Porter-Phelps-Huntington house. The bus started on its return journey at four o’clock and arrived in Boston shortly after six o’clock in the evening.

    In commemoration of this visit, the Society distributed to its Members in 1949 copies of Forty Acres, The Story of the Bishop Huntington House, written by Dr. Huntington and illustrated with photographs by Mr. Samuel Chamberlain, also a Resident Member of the Society.