To Sarah Savage Thatcher

    Philadelphia        2-3 December 1793

    My dear—

    Between sixty & seventy members are already assembled—old and new all mingling hands either in token of a friendly remembrance, or of a happy acquaintance—And in a few moments we shall proceed to choose a Speaker & organize the House—But, till then I will detail my journey from Boston to this place—

    About three oClock of the day I wrote you from Mrs. Archabalds1 I set out in the Stage with the Vice President, Mr. Storer and a stranger2—We passed Brother Amos’s [Biglow] little after sun-set and with such velocity as not to admit of my calling long enough to enquire how they did—We lodged at Flaggs, at this place I wrote to our Honord. Father [Samuel Phillips Savage] and apologized for not calling upon him—By four oClock in the morning we were drinking our chocolate & seting off again. Nothing material took place in our journey to Hartford where we arrived on the evening of Saturday, which made little more than two days from Boston—Here we tarried till monday morning—

    Sunday I went to meeting, & was highly pleased as well with the preaching of Mr. Flint3 as the appearance & music of eighteen or twenty young women who occupied the side Galery, all dressed in a kind of uniform—I rather think brother Mellens Deary4 was not at meeting for tho I saw many good faces I saw not one that, in my estimation, had more charms or indicated more virtues than Miss Bourn5

    We started from this place at the hour of five on monday morning, & with the usual occurrences of a Journey in a Stage Coach we reached New-York by wednesday at ten oClock in the forenoon—I took lodgings, for the little time I should tarry at Mrs. [Mary] Lorings—This is one of the best boarding Houses I ever put up at—it is expensive, I paid three dollars for two days—but every thing is right—and I care but little what I give, when on a journey, provided I have what I want—My little friend Unice I found was married to a Gentleman of great property from South Carolina, and set off for Charlestown [Charleston, S.C.] in a carriage with four horses & two Servants about three days before I got to her mothers—She is fortunate & I am glad for her good luck—Her husband is said to be a bachellor of about forty five, of an amiable temper & good deportment—The morning after they were married he gave Betsey [Loring] fifty pounds sterling & assured her as long as he lived she should not want a sure friend—This makes their mother inexpressably happy—for heretofore her only anxiety was the helpless situation her daughters would be left in after her death6

    Here I left the Vice President & on fryday took another Stage for Philadelphia where we arrived last evening about sun-set—and have taken temporary lodgings at the City Tavern7—At this house no person has died with the late contageous fever—as soon as the disorder began to rage to such a degree as to put a stop to Business, Mr. Marsten, who keeps the House, shut it up and went out of the City—I am of opinion there is little or no danger in the City8—There have been no deaths of late, & every thing has been done to clens the Town—The inhabitants have chiefly returned to their Houses, and business is nearly as quick as ever—

    My Journey, on the whole, has been agreeable—from Boston to New-York, especially—I had much conversation with the Vice-President on political and philosophical subjects—and time passed as rapidly as our Stage9

    Tuesday morning 3d December

    Yesterday we chose Fred. A. Muhlenberg our Speaker10—And the old officers again11—But this is a matter you care but little about—The President is to meet the two Houses this day at 12 oClock in the Senate Chamber—And the time is near at hand—after that Ceremony you will hear from me again—

    Two oClock—Returned from the Senate Chamber—where the President made his speech to the two Houses—If you see friend [Jeremiah] Hill tell him the Presidents speech is full of energy, & spirit—

    Adieu my dear, & believe me to be with great affection yours &c

    * * *

    ALS, TFP. The letter was begun at 11 a.m. in Congress Hall.